Dr. Anna Giannopoulou-Merika
Professor, Department of Accounting, Economics and Finance at Deree – ACG
University of Salford, UK
University of Salford, UK
MSc, Economic Development
London School of Economics, London, UK
BSc, Mathematical Economics and Econometrics
Professor in the Department of Accounting, Economics and Finance at Deree Colege teaching primarily econometrics and microeconomic theory courses.
Current research interests cover forecasting, corporate governance and shipping. Author of a book in applied financial econometrics and over 55 refereed research papers in international journals.
Her articles have been published in refereed international journals like: Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, European Financial Management, Energy Economics, Journal of Maritime Policy and Management, Journal of Forecasting, Transportation Research Part E, Transportation Research Part A and others.
Currently acts as an advisor to an international shipping company, GMS.
- Evaluating volatility dynamics and the forecasting ability of Markov switching models (with George Parikakis). The Journal of Forecasting. Dec 2009. (ABS 2*)
- Explaining House Price Changes in Greece (with Gounopoulos Dimitris, Merikas Andreas, Triantafyllou Anna). The Journal of Applied Financial Economics. August 2011. (ABS 2*)
- Concentrated Ownership and Corporate Performance Revisited: The Case of the Shipping Industry, (with Tsionas Mike, Merikas Andreas). Transportation Research Part E. February 2012. (ABS 3*)
- Dry Bulk Time Charter Rates Joint Return Distribution Modeling: Copula Approach(with Andreas Merikas and Henry Penikas). Procedia Computer Science 17,1125 – 1133, 2013.
- Internet Disclosure and Corporate Performance: A Case Study of the International Shipping Industry, (with A. Andrikopoulos, A. Triantafyllou and A. Merikas,) Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, 47,2013. (ABS 3*)
- Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Reporting: The Case of International Shipping,(with Wolfgang Drobetz, Andreas Merikas, and Mike Tsionas), Transportation Research Part E, 71, 2014. (ABS 3*)
- Unraveling the Political Budget Cycle Nexus in Greece,(with N.Laopodis, and A.Triantafyllou). Research in International Business and Finance, 2015. (ABS 2*)
- Financial disclosure in the travel and leisure industry,(with A.Andrikopoulos and A.Merikas). International Journal of Tourism Research, 2016. (ABS 2*)
- Modeling and forecasting the demolition market in shipping,(with N. Kagkarakis and A.Merikas). Maritime Policy and Management, 2016. (ABS 2*)
- Determinants of Management Earnings Forecasts: The Case of Global Shipping IPOs, (with W.Drobetz, D. Gounopoulos and A.Merikas) European Financial Management, 2017. (ABS 3*)
- Exploring vessel-price dynamics: The case of the dry bulk market,(with Andreas Merikas, Mike Tsionas & Andreas Andrikopoulos). Maritime Policy and Management, 2018. (ABS 2*)
- Wage and Tax Competitiveness: The case of Hellenic Shipping,(with Anna Triatafyllou and George Zombanaki). Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, 2019. (ABS 3*)
- Corporate governance in the shipping industry: Board Interlocks and Agency Conflicts,(with A.Andrikopoulo, A.Merika and A.Georgakopoulou). Accepted to be published by Corporate Governance the International Journal of Business in Society, 2019. (ABS 2*)
- A Novel Forecasting Model for the Baltic Dry Index Utilizing Optimal Squeezing,(with S.Makridaki, M.Tsiona, A.Merika). The Journal of Forecasting, 2019. (ABS 2*)
- The dynamics of fleet size and shipping profitability: the role of steel-scrap prices (with A.Andrikopoulo, A. Merika, M. Tsiona). Maritime Policy and Management, 2020. (ABS 2*)
- The Basel II internal ratings based (IRB) model and the transition impact on the listed Greek banks (with A. Merika, H. Penikas, M. Surkov). The Journal of Economic Asymmetries, 2020.
- Environmental regulation on the energy-intensive container ship sector: A restraint or opportunity? (G.Kokosalaki , X.A. Merika). Marine Policy, Vol 145, March 2021. (ABS 2*)
- Related party transactions and principal-principal conflicts in publicly traded companies: Evidence from the maritime shipping industry,(A.Andrikopoulo, A.Merika and C.Sigala). Transportation Research Part E, 2021. (ABS 3*)
- Stress-Testing and Credit Risk Revisited: A Shipping Sector Application,(Y.Negaki and H.Penika). Accepted to be published by the International Journal of Banking Accounting and Finance, 2021. (ABS 2*)
- Net Asset Value Discounts and Premiums in Maritime Shipping Industry(with Andrikopoulo and Ch. Sigalas). Accepted to be published by the European Financial Management, 2021. (ABS 3*)
- Energy Efficiency, and Emissions Control: the Response of the Second-Hand Containerships Sector(with G.Kokosalaki and A.Triantafyllou). Accepted to be published by Energy Economics, 2021. (ABS 3*)